Screw Disneyland. Rancho La Puerta is officially the happiest place on Earth. Greetings from Tecate, Baja California, Mexico. I am currently enjoying a week of hiking, yoga, meditation, clean air, great conversation, sun (finally! highs in the 60s), organic food, and technology rehab (once a day!) Before you start screaming "Bitch, please! I am working/freezing my ass off in FILL IN YOUR WONDERFUL CITY HERE and I can't hear this bullshit from you right now", stay with me. Many people at the ranch are here tackling body related insecurities, to which I'm not a stranger. But the more fascinating work is restructuring one's thought processes. The main thing I've been concentrating on is making peace with the top ten things I beat myself up over. Drum roll, please....
1) Wasting time on the internet/Facebook
2) Drinking alcohol
3) Eating too much/eating unhealthy food
4) Using humor, particularly sarcasm, to convey my feelings
5) Using profanity all the fucking time
6) Boy craziness
7) Talking when I really should STFU and listen
8) Being quiet/tuning out when I really should say something
9) Seeing the world through poop colored glasses (negativity)
10) Worrying obsessively about 1-9.
Ironically, I think a good bunch of the items on the list above would make other people's lists of what they like about me. Make your own list, it may surprise you.
I think of how I treat my nearest and dearest....unconditional support and understanding, respect and admiration, forgiveness and mercy, belief and loyalty. It feels so great to feel that way about our friends....what if you extended those same feelings to yourself? How fucking amazing would that be? (already making peace with #5)
I'll shut up now (making peace with #8). I'm off to see about getting a water shiatsu massage from a hunky guy with tribal tattoos (making peace with #6).